Backyard Food Day
14932 Otto Road, South Stormont
Sunday, August 18th from 11am – 4pm
Admission is free (donations are welcome)
Join the Transition Cornwall + Food Action Group for “Backyard Food Day”, a delicious and educational event hosted at the homestead of Bill and Karen Carriere in South Stormont.
- 11:00 Event opens
- 11:30 Workshop: Planting for Fall with Anke Craig
- 12:30 Guided Discovery Walk: Wild Foraging with Mark Currier, Farm to Forest
- 1:00 Workshop: Home brewing with Sandy Whitworth
- 1:00 – 3:00: Bur oak sapling adoption in partnership with Tree Action Arbre, a working group of Transition Cornwall+
- 2:00 Guided Discovery Walk: Woodland Forest and Oak Tree with botanist, Sophie Gibbs
- 2:30 Workshop: Garden Mulching 101 with Bill Carriere
- 4:00 Event Closes
- Self-guided Discovery Tours and Stations
- Fruit and Nut Trees and Shrubs
- Berry Gardens
- Dahlia Plantings
- Greenhouse and Garden Beds
- Dwarf Tomato Plant Trials
- Best Veggies for Pots
- Solar Cooking and Dehydrating
- Towards a Low-Waste Lifestyle
Children’s Crafts and Activities
• Face painting
• Weaving with plants
• Painting with homemade natural dyes
• Sunflower garden path and photo opportunity
• Garden quiz: Test your skills while touring the gardens and orchards
Refreshments featuring local ingredients.
Live acoustic music periodically throughout the day. Final line-up to be announced.
Don’t forget the following to bring:
- Water bottle
- Bug repellent
Guest may pack a lunch and picnic in one of the many gardens.
For a complete program, map directions, and other information: https://bit.ly/2OPf3PF
Interested in volunteering at this event? Contact Penny at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This event has been made possible through partnership with the Social Development Council of Cornwall and Area, the Cornwall and SDG Community Garden Network, the Boys and Girls Club of Cornwall/SDG, Allspice Solutions, TC+ Tree Action Arbre, TC+ Waste Reduction Group and members of the TC+ Steering Committee.