The Bishop’s House

20017 S.D.G. County Rd 18 St Raphaels West, Ontario
(613) 525-5410

Built in 1808 by Alexander Macdonell, the first Bishop of Ontario and the man credited for establishing the Ontario Catholic school system, as a large three-story stone home, it was from here that the development of the Roman Catholic Church in Ontario began. Adjacent to the National Historic Site of the St. Raphael’s Ruins, The Bishop’s House is also in very close proximity to the first post-secondary institution in Ontario, the College of Iona, also established by Macdonell. Check out this remarkable piece of architectural, educational, and religious history in beautiful South Glengarry.